April 26, 2012

McDonalds Convention 2012

Every two years there is a worldwide McDonald's convention held in Orlando.  The restaurant franchise owners come to see the latest and greatest products.  They have everything McDonalds related that you can imagine - different types of ice makers, drive through windows, play equipment, happy meal toys, restaurant furniture, new food products, technology upgrades, etc.  Ben manages commercial insurance accounts at an insurance brokerage firm (did I say that right, dear?) and most of his clients are McDonald's accounts.  So, people from his office go to meet their clients and network and whatnot.  I think of the 8 or so people who went Ben is the only one who brought his spouse.  They probably think we're really silly and young and entertainment deprived (which we are) that we would look forward to it.  But this is our third time going and we always have a splendid time.

My parents watched Sadie and Jax (they were already feeling much better by Monday, although, now they have rashes and it turns out they have Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease - YUCK! But at least they're feeling better).  We tried to get McKay to sleep in the crib (shown below) but he didn't like it.  So, Moe and I slept in one bed and Ben slept in the other.  It reminded me of the cruise we went on where we accidentally booked a room with bunk beds.

Get me out of here people!

If I smile will you get me out?

Monday evening we had a wonderful dinner at the Melting Pot.  We were worried how McKay would do because we were there nearly two and a half hours but he actually did great.  He LOVED the food, too.  He gnawed on the apples for probably 45 minutes.  It was such a fun evening.


Feed me!

Yummy apples, dad!

Dessert was DELICIOUS!



He fell asleep on the drive back to the hotel.

The next morning we quick ate breakfast and got ready and headed to the convention center.  I had planned to work out to undo the damage from the night before but time did not permit.  Had I known how much food was at the convention center we just would have skipped breakfast and I would have worked out.  Hindsight is always 20/20.





Inside the convention center they had brought in 5 full McDonald's restaurants and they serve free food all day.  Some of the products are also new items that are being added to the menus.  Everything inside is free - they had LOADS of food, not just McDonald's but ALL kinds.  You just walk up and take whatever you want, as much as you want.  I totally over ate this trip.   I think I gained back in one day the pound that had taken me two weeks to lose.  But it was worth it!


   
That afternoon McKay and I went shopping and then we headed home.  Ben and I were so excited to see Sadie and Jax.  However, they were only semi-excited about seeing us.  The whole drive home they kept saying, "I don't want to leave!" "Want Mimi house"  "Turn round" (didn't even know Jax knew that phrase until he barked it at us).  I guess they had fun, too!  

Special thanks to Lowell Fuller for giving Ben a job.  Ben would have just graduated from Optometry school last year had this job not come along.  We're happy where we are and grateful for what we've been given.

Crazy how much things have changed since the last convention.  This is the post from two years ago: http://bsakj.blogspot.com/2010/04/orlando-disney.html.  

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Sounds like a fun getaway, especially only having one child along instead of three. I'm sure Mckay enjoyed the one on one time too!