March 12, 2012

Our Baby Chicks

We have a feed store nearby that has a sign out front, "Billy can't get a girl.  Buy hot chicks here $3."  Anyways, I've driven past that sign (weird ad) but it caught my eye and I thought how fun it would be to get chicks.

Then, I was scanning photography blogs a little while back and came across photo shoot that used live bunnies and baby chicks for Easter pictures.  I knew I had to try it!

I've been waiting for McKay to sit up well enough to finally buy them.  Today I did it....I bought 3 five day old chicks!

It was 6:30 by the time I bought them and brought them home so we didn't have much time to play with them, but the kids L.O.V.E. them!!  The wonderful little neighbor girls were out back and came over to take a look. We played with them for about 20 minutes and then put them down for a 'nap' in the nice, warm garage.

Sadie just loved hugging and cuddling them.  She wasn't hesitant at all about picking them up.  She scooped the bird up perfectly and tucked him under her chin.  I asked her what she was doing and she said, "Keeping him warm."  How does she know she needs to keep him warm?  I didn't.  But we are - the man informed me.  She'll be a really good mom one day.  She's got the instincts for it.

Jax on the other hand just kept saying, "I scared....a chick....I scared!" But then he would try to touch them and would smile.  I tried to put one in his hand but he moved his hand at the last second and dropped the poor baby bird.  He was fine though.  Hopefully he'll warm up to them by picture taking time.

These aren't the best photos but it's all I took.









3 comments:

meyersmp said...

So sweet! Do you still have them?? Are you going to keep them?

Ben said...

Yes, we still have them. Come up and see them Sarah! I'll probably keep them for a few days. There's a lady at church who raises them. I'll give them to her by Sunday if not sooner.

Unknown said...

Have fun with the chicks! And tell Sadie Auntie Kiki loves her so so much. Wish I could be there to play with all of you!