May 14, 2012

Celebrating Motherhood

Happy Mother's day - especially to our great moms!  They are two of the best mothers I've ever know.  Their examples are a constant source of inspiration and education for me.  

I surely know that there is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood.--Elder Russell M. Ballard, "Daughters of God," General Conference April 2008



This was ready and waiting for me at 8AM.  I never even heard Ben get up to make it.

Ben's cleverness strikes again!

I love my mom!

I want to be just like her.

Ben made Shaum Torte for dessert.  Is was delicious.


Intense concentration going on above.

Talking to Kimmy on Skype.

Sweet Baby Charlie.

The Parents.

Julie shown mothering above.

The day has been great - breakfast in bed, church, nap, visiting with my mom, holding my babies, skyping with Kimmy, and being with family.  All wonderful!

It took me a little while to adjust to motherhood.  Sadie wasn't easy on me that first year and I had no clue what I was doing so it was a bit of a shock to my system.  I love it now.  Really, deeply, wholeheartedly, makes me want to cry love it!  At least at this moment, on this day I love it.  I have wonderful moments when I feel joy, happiness and fulfillment as a mother but it's a challenge to consistently feel that.  Happiness all day?  Every day?  Even at 5 o'clock when the kids are fussing, the house is a mess, and I'm exhausted?  Sometimes that's a challenge for me.  But I'm striving to maintain a cheerful, happy, calm, and appreciative attitude - even in the challenging moments.

Last item of business:  I saw this video today and thought I'd share it. Ben always tries to make this day special for me, but it's what he does and who he is the other 364 days of the year that teaches my kids how he feels about women and motherhood.  He has never once raised his voice or said a critical word to me.  Never once!  He is always patient and ever encouraging of who I am and what I'm striving to become.  





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice post Alicia. Matt and I came across that same video the other day and really like it. :)

I love you!